Sunday, April 03, 2011

Ahhh Gettysburg...
I just returned from a trip to Gettysburg earlier this week.  My friends's son was in town from Spokane as a graduation present.  Wracking my brain trying to come up with entertaining things to do, I asked if he'd ever been to Gettysburg (or was even interested in it), he told me he loved all things Civil War, so we did 2 days in Gettysburg and 1 at Antietam.

The weather wasn't conducive to a lot of outside time, but that didn't deter us.

We spent the next 2 days exploring the battlefield at Gettysburg.  It was interesting for me to try to see Gettysburg through Joe's eyes as this was his first visit.  We walked Pickett's Charge (and retreat), up Big Round Top, all over Culp's Hill, the Bloody Wheat Field and the Peach Orchard.  Joe indulged me as I was looking for an area I had never been to (Neill Avenue, also called Lost Lane) on Wolf's Hill.  Following a poorly copied map and directions we eventually found it.  We explored the rocks at Devil's Den and walked part of the Triangle Field.

When we were done, our legs were like jello and our feet blistered.  And on we went.

We continued to Antietam Battlefield for a "day" trip.  I won't go into detail about that here though.  Maybe later.

My next post will have pix from this Gettysburg trip.

No comments: